Thursday 1 March 2012

Birds, tulips....and badgers...

What’s the difference between a Cormorant and a Gannet? This was the question facing us when all our bird sculptures turned up and the labels got confused. I had a vague, deeply suppressed, memory that Cormorants were dark because I used to make them as decoration on my driftwood clocks. I also remembered they had a tendency to explode on the disc sander so I stopped making them. In fact I’m sure there is still a Cormorant splinter in my thumb.

Anyway, it was eventually established that Gannets are big and white (ish) and Cormorants are big and dark. If you fancy yourself as a twitcher come and see our new bird display. Test the staff to see if they can spot the difference between a Godwit and a Redshank, a Curlew from an Avocet, or a Turnstone from a Ruff. Well, I can tell you now they couldn’t, but it keeps them on their toes!

A whole new batch of silk flowers also turned up last week which really freshened up the shop. The small tulips in particular have been causing a few problems for Lucy (one of our fabulous Nest helpers) who refused to sell them, believing them to be real and therefore for display! Helpful customers keep reminding us that the water in the jug needs topping up.

Harking back to the stuffed badger (again), a man and his dog offered me a grey parrot and a yellowhammer the other day. No, this doesn’t mean the geese fly south for winter, but does mean our little badger may have some friends...if I can get them at the right price!

No comments:

Post a Comment